Thursday, September 22, 2016

Drops of Rain by Kathryn Andrews [Review]

Drops of Rain by Kathryn Andrews
Drops of Rain (Hale Brothers #1) by Kathryn Andrews
Format: ebook
Source: free Kindle download 5/2/16
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Date read: May 17, 2016

Hale Brothers
1. Drops of Rain - Paperback | Kindle
2. Starless Night
3. Unforgettable Sun

Kathryn Andrews
| Website | Twitter | Facebook | Amazon |

Synopsis (Goodreads):
Ali Rain
Sometimes I think to myself, “How did I get here?” Then the pain hits and I remember…it’s because she’s gone. I now live in a new town, go to a new school, and I’m supposed to be moving on with my new life. Only, I no longer know who I am anymore. Dancing is all I have left and every day I feel completely alone. Silence has become the theme song to my life. She said to find some joy and light, but I don’t know how. Mostly, I feel surrounded in darkness…that is until I meet him.

Drew Hale
I have only one goal, in 298 days I’m going to drive away from this small beach town and never return. People are always watching me closely, too close, and I’m tired of wearing a mask. I need to be free. Swimming is my ticket out of here and I remind myself daily to fly under the radar, stick to my routine, and under no circumstances let anything distract me. I’m not as perfect as they think, most days I am drowning in guilt. I’m not sure I will ever be able to escape the feelings of shame, worthlessness, and just being unwanted…that is until I meet her.
Thoughts on Drops of Rain: I was in the mood for something on the lighter side when I picked this book up. It's not necessarily on the light end of the spectrum (poor Ali and Drew!), but it still hit the spot.

Things I liked: Ali dealing with her circumstances. There's a lot going on with her. Grief, abandonment issues, being the new girl on top of everything else. Drew doesn't necessarily make it easier for her, either. He has his reasons. Totally. I get why he pushed her away and tried to keep his distance. Totally get that. Simply put, I liked Ali's strength and how she pushed herself to stay strong.

I LOVED the relationship between Drew and Beau. Brothers, man. They rocked that part. I didn't love how Beau was used against Drew, but that's another story. The two of them together made a formidable team. *thumbs up*

There were a few instances where the dialog came across as a little stilted. Enough that it threw me out of the story. I can't think of any specific examples, but I had a moment or two of "Would a high schooler REALLY say that?" Still, I enjoyed Ali and Drew's story and want to see Beau catch his special lady friend. So, there's that.

No comments:

Post a Comment